Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hawaiian Quilts

I have long had a fascination with Hawaiian quilts. They just call to me. While Daniel and I were in Hawaii celebrating our anniversary I picked up a couple of Hawaiian kits for wall hangings or pillows and some patterns by Kawaiola. Kawaiola and a group of ladies from Hawaii gave lessons in the lobby of the hotel we stayed at. Although I did not take any lessons, I did spend a few hours just stitching with them. They were delighted to have someone younger quilting with them. The project I started while working with them is a Hawaiian Wood Rose.




It's finished size is 24" x 24". The base fabric is a yummy golden brown batik and the design is a solid brown. The top was done completely by hand using the needleturn method of applique. I have not decided yet if I am going to hand quilt it or machine quilt it.
I think it will be beautiful whichever way I decide.




No comments:

Post a Comment